Goal of the campaign
This campaign aims to map local data on housing demands for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and to recognize community leaders as experts by working with communities.
We hope to increase inclusive housing opportunities, obtain key findings in ten communities across the province and strengthen advocacy by empowering and supporting community leaders.
Why it’s important
More than 5,000 people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are looking for homes in British Columbia. Breaking down this number per community will enable key information to be used for strong local advocacy with governments. Read our fact sheets on Inclusive Housing.
A Call to Action
Inclusion BC welcomes members interested in mapping the housing needs and local context of their community. If you are interested in joining this campaign, you can write an email to email@example.com
What We’re Doing
We have partnered with the Social Planning and Research Council of BC (SPARC BC) to produce 10 local inclusive housing reports to highlight:
- The need for inclusive housing in each community,
- The availability of housing and the range of options available for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities,
- The current barriers and gaps to inclusive housing in each community,
- And, potential solutions to ensure all housing plans address these gaps and barriers.
The campaign will be featured at the Union of BC Municipalities’ Convention in September 2023. We look forward to connecting with many local leaders and creating a network of local champions for complete communities.
Scheduled release of reports by community:
- Delta – October 2023
- Nanaimo – November 2023
- New Westminster – January 2024
- Langley – February 2025
- Sunshine Coast- February 2024
The remaining five communities are still pending. If you are interested in participating in this campaign, please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To guide this project, we put together an advisory group and started in four communities (Delta, Langley, Nanaimo, and New Westminster).
Our Advisory Group includes:
- Fact sheets on Inclusive Housing
- Film – Inclusive Housing: The changes that will change lives
- Home is where our story begins 2018
- Tools for individuals and families
- Tools for speaking with housing partners
- Creating Inclusive Housing for persons with an intellectual disability: A Handbook for Developers and Funders