What we do.
Inclusion BC provides support, education and advocacy where and when it's needed. We advocate at a systems level for policy change and promote inclusion through public awareness initiatives and campaigns.
What is inclusion?
Inclusion is an attitude and approach that embraces diversity and differences and promotes equal opportunities for all. Inclusion is not just about people with disabilities. When our communities include and embrace everyone, we are ALL better able to reach our full potential.
What is an intellectual disability?
An intellectual disability affects a person's intellectual development and is usually present from the time they are born or from an early age. This disability varies greatly and society provides accommodations that promote the unique and diverse abilities of each person.
Statement of Values & Principles
- in the assurance of life, dignity and respect for all
- that children are best nurtured by a family that knows, loves and honours them for who they are
- that all children have the right to be educated in regular classrooms with appropriate levels of support
- that adults have a right to choose where and with whom they will make a home
- that relationships and friendships are essential to enrich our lives
- that all people have the dignity of taking risks
- that all individuals are entitled to enough money to have a reasonable quality of life
- that all individuals are entitled to the services and supports required to ensure their full participation in our society
- that real work means real pay
- that each person can determine their own needs and make their own decisions, and when necessary, must receive the support to do so
- that the involvement of families and support networks contributes to everyone’s safety and well-being
- that services and supports must be delivered in a way that respects an individual’s diverse history, culture, race, religion and sexual orientation
- that remembering and sharing our history will help guide and build our vision for the future
- that inclusive communities enrich the lives of all citizens