OCTOBER 2021 IS COMMUNITY INCLUSION MONTH
Opening the Door to Inclusive Housing
The B.C. government has proclaimed October 2021 as Community Inclusion Month. In the month of October, communities across B.C. are promoting inclusion, celebrating diversity, and bringing awareness to the strengths and abilities of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
In 2010 the Canadian Government agreed to follow the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD). This official document helps governments and communities protect the human rights of people with disabilities. Article 19 in the UNCRPD says people with disabilities have the right to live independently and be included in the community.
This year Community Inclusion Month will focus on inclusive housing, because all people have the right to live and belong in their community and everyone deserves a place to call home.
From years of working with people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, their families, and the organizations that serve them, we know that:
- Inclusive housing builds strong and accessible communities where everyone belongs, feels valued, and has the chance to contribute,
- Many people with intellectual and developmental disabilities face barriers like poverty, isolation, and need housing that is safe, affordable, accessible and,
- To be truly inclusive all housing must consider the unique needs of all people.
Links to the work on increasing access to inclusive housing for people with disabilities in B.C.
- “Home is where our story begins” a 2018 report from the Inclusive Housing Task force
- Key to Home campaign created by Community Living BC and Inclusion BC
During October 2021, you are invited to join B.C. communities and celebrate Community Inclusion Month 2021 – Opening the Door to Inclusive Housing.
For updates and events follow @InclusionBC on Facebook and Twitter. We also hope you’ll share upcoming virtual and in person Community Inclusion Month celebrations on social media with #Inclusion2021 #CIM2021 and #CommunityInclusionMonth.