The Inclusion BC Board of Directors steers the work of Inclusion BC. Our mission, vision, social policies, goals and objectives are all developed under the leadership of this dedicated group of volunteers. Directors represent different regions of the province and are elected by the Inclusion BC Federation at our annual general meeting.
Annual General Meeting
The 2019 Inclusion BC Annual General Meeting will be held on Friday, May 24, 2019 at 1:00PM at the Victoria Conference Centre (720 Douglas St. Victoria BC). It is time for Inclusion BC’s membership to consider who they want to represent them on the Inclusion BC Board of Directors. Nomination and election information is outlined below.
The nominations form, brief profiles and a photo of the nominee are due to the Inclusion BC office by March 22, 2019. All nominations received by that date will be circulated to the membership before the AGM. All nominations must be consistent with the by-laws and candidates must meet the nominating criteria. If more nominations are received than there are positions open, nominees will be given the opportunity to give a speech.
Areas of Expertise:
To help Inclusion BC advance and grow, and carry out its mandate as a Federation, it is critical that we develop and maintain a strong, effective and productive governing board. A strong board is one of our most important assets – for achieving our mission, for strengthening our Federation and for raising money. The board recruitment, nomination and election process is vital to our ongoing effectiveness.
As a volunteer directed Society, Inclusion BC must be represented by self advocates, parents and family members and committed community members who come from all over the province. Our Board members reflect our priorities and are responsive to the needs of self advocates and their families and of our member organizations.
Given the above, the Board relies upon the diverse expertise, skills and areas of interest of its members to carry out our work. The following background or areas of expertise would be an asset in potential candidates:
- Financial Management
- Advocacy Research / Policy Development
- Medical / Health Care
- Employment / Income Security
- Inclusive Education
- Public Relations / Communications
- Legal / Law Reform
- Community Development
- Children & Youth
- Human Rights
Board Positions & Terms Open for Nomination:
This year, the following positions are open for nomination by members:
(see region map)
- Director – 3 year term currently held by Angela Bond (Region 4)
- Director – 3 year term currently held by Michael McLellan (Region 1)
- Director – Temporary appointment until AGM held by Hilary Thomson (Region 2)
- Director – Temporary appointment until AGM held by Kya Bezanson (Region 2)
- Director – Temporary appointment until AGM held by Annette Delaplace (Region 2)
The Board is made up of the President, the Past President (1 year only), and up to 11 Directors (8 who are elected by the membership and 3 who are appointed by the Board and the Executive Directors’ Network). At least 1 Director must be from each of the 4 regions. At least 2 of the elected Directors must be self-advocates and 2 of the elected Directors must be family members of a person with an intellectual disability. The Board elects its Vice President and Treasurer.
The following positions are appointed by the Inclusion BC Board:
- Inclusion BC Board Director – two year appointment by Executive Directors’ Network,
currently held by Greg Hill (Region 2)
- Inclusion BC Board Director – two year appointment by Inclusion BC Board,
- Indigenous representative, currently held by Neil Belanger (Region 1)
- Inclusion BC Board Director – two year appointment by Inclusion BC Board, currently held by Jonathan Down (Region 1)
Directors who have remaining terms on the Board are:
• Fiona Whittington-Walsh, serving until 2020 as President (Region 2)
• Brent Tolmie, serving until 2020 (Region 2)
• Bendina Miller, serving until 2020 (Region 3)
• Cyndi Gerlach, serving until 2020 (Region 2)
Members of the Inclusion BC Board of Directors are expected to attend all Board and Membership meetings. Board meetings are on weekends (usually all day Saturday). The meeting schedule for the coming year has not yet been confirmed. It is anticipated that there will be four in person meetings of the Board, one of which is in conjunction with the AGM. When necessary, the Board also meets by conference call.
Please return the form no later than March 22, 2019 to:
Chairperson, Nominations Committee
Inclusion BC office 227 – 6th Street
New Westminster, BC V3L 3A5
Fax: (604) 777-9394 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any questions or would like more information on the responsibilities of Inclusion BC board members please contact us at info@inclusionbc or 604-777-9100 ext. 518.