The annual Inclusive Education Awards are presented in partnership with Inclusive Education Canada and the Family Support Institute to recognize educators, administrators and schools who create or support unique opportunities that enrich inclusive educational experiences.
We look for the following key indicators of excellence in inclusive education practice:
- Students fully participate with peers in all school opportunities, in and out of the classroom
- All students are valued and encouraged to build on their abilities
- No label-based limitations
- School-wide culture and leadership
The awards honour leadership, innovation and excellence in educational practice. Educators, administrators, schools and teams who show a commitment to inclusive education are eligible for recognition.
We launch the call for nominations in February and present the awards at our annual conference in the Spring.
In 2018 we invited nominations and gave four awards in the following categories:
- Education Leadership – Wendy Taylor, University Registrar, University of Victoria, Victoria BC
- Inclusive Teaching – Kim Moffat, Grade 5 Teacher, Senpaq’cin (SenPokChin) School, Oliver BC
- Inclusive Teaching – Carissa Keenan, Grade 5/6 Teacher, Harry Hooge Elementary School, Maple Ridge, BC.
- Inclusion Support – Jenine Grass, Ann Negrin and Sarah Negrin, New Westminster Secondary School, New Westminster, BC.
Learn more about 2019 winners: Celebrating Champions for Inclusion in BC Schools
In 2018 we invited nominations and gave six awards in the following categories:
- Education Leadership – Angela Pardek, supervisor, Hastings Community Preschool, Vancouver.
- Education Leadership – Sally Marr, Learning Services Teacher, Charles Hays Secondary School, Prince Rupert.
- Inclusive Teaching – Twila Konynenbelt, Classroom Teacher, Brechin Elementary School, Nanaimo.s
- Inclusion Support – Kyme Wegrich, Classroom Teacher, Walton Elementary School, Coquitlam.
- Inclusive Teaching Team – Saanichton/SD63 Team: Principal Kal Russell, teacher and IST Jodi Beaudry, IST Erin Stinson, Assistant Superintendent Scott Stinson, and EA/School Secretary Jessica Tamburino,Saanich School District.
- Inclusion Support – Westcot Elementary team: Learning Support Teacher Laura Couling, Classroom Teacher Kelsey Woodleyand EA Heather Bushby, Westcot Elementary School, West Vancouver.
Learn more about 2018 winners: Educators in 6 BC communities win national inclusive education awards