The Immigrant Services Society of BC, recognized for their proven digital literacy training for newcomers, has developed online Digital Literacy Tutor Training for the community living sector. This training includes proven materials and successful strategies for teaching digital skills, including learning videos and practice activities for learners (see sample video here – Be Organized Part 1: Create and use folders).
The training provides all teaching materials and prepares employment service provider staff to teach individuals during support hours how to use technology step-by-step and at the learners’ pace.
When is the training held?
The training will be held over a 4-day period
The next training session:
- Session 18A runs Monday to Thursday, October 16 to 19, from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm each day, on Zoom.
The training focuses on tutoring individuals in person when it is safe but will provide a method to tutor remotely using Zoom if in-person tutoring cannot take place.
Please note, priority will be given to organizations who do not yet have digital literacy tutors trained
How do I sign up?
Space is limited. To register, please RSVP by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and city of the organization, the name and contact information of the person to be trained, and the answers to these questions:
- Have you confirmed with your supervisor that the training and the subsequent tutoring of individuals can be done as part of your current job?
- Can you recruit multiple individuals to tutor following the training? There is an expectation for multiple individuals to be trained.
- Do you have the equipment and venue to tutor individuals? Equipment and a venue will need to be supplied by your organization.
- Which session would you like to register in – 17A September or 18A October?
We hope you choose to join the next session of the Digital Literacy Tutor Training and become part of a growing network of tutors across the province working to build people’s digital literacy for our changing world.