Inclusive Education Summit
- When: June 14, 2017 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
- Where: Sheraton Airport Hotel, 7551 Westminster Hwy, Richmond, BC.
Research demonstrates that all students benefit from inclusive education. Our challenge now is how do we rebuild and nurture the potential of a quality inclusive education in BC Public Schools?
The day will explore the exciting and unique opportunities that face the BC Education system at this point in time, including how the Supreme Court of Canada Decision regarding class composition and size impacts reinvestments in education. With additional classroom and specialist teaching positions opening up throughout the province we have an opportunity to examine and collaborate on ways to support the inclusion of students with special needs in all BC classrooms. The time is right to engage with and increase the knowledge, capacity and commitment of educators. Important questions will be explored including, “What does inclusion mean to you?” “How prepared do you feel to teach to diverse groups of students?” What resources are required to make inclusive education work?” and “What types of training would help you?”
The Summit features experts from across Canada on Inclusive Education, including:
- Leyton Schnellert, Faculty of Education, UBC Okanagan
- Shelley Moore, M.ED. Instructor, University of BC; Inclusive Education Consultant, Richmond School District
- Jaqueline Specht, Director of the Canadian Research Centre on Inclusive Education at Western University, London, Ontario.
- Sherri Brown, Senior Research Analyst for the BC Teachers’ Federation
This day will be of interest to parents, teachers and other support staff.